History of Rewa
Rewa is a city in north-eastern part of Madhya Pradesh state in India. It is the administrative centre of Rewa District and Rewa Division. The city lies about 420 kilometres (261 mi) northeast of the state capital Bhopal and 130 kilometres (81 mi) south of the city of Allahabad. Rewa derives its name from another name for the Narmada River. Rewa is connected to Allahabad via NH 27 and Sidhi, Satna, Maihar and Varansi via NH-7. In nearby Sidhi district, a part of the erstwhile princely state of Rewa, and now a part of Rewa division, the world's first white tiger, a mutant variant of the Bengal tiger, was caught. World's first white tiger safari is located in REWA district of Rewa division.
The district derives its name from the town of Rewa, the district headquarters, which is another name for the Narmada River. The territories now included in the district were held by the imperial Maurya dynasty, which ruled in the 3rd century BC. The area came under the Kalachuris from the 9th to the end of the 12th century. In the 13th century, Ulugh Khan, brother of Sultan Alauddin, drove the Baghela king east into the area, where he founded the Princely State of Rewa. This dynasty continued until the last successor, Martand Singh, abdicated and acceded rule to the Dominion of India in 1947. The present Rewa district came into existence in 1950 when the Provinces and States Order (transfer of enclaves) was put into effect. Prior to August 1947, the district, along with the Raghurajnagar tehsil of the former Rewa state, corresponded to that state's north Rewa district.
Before independence, hunting tiger was considered honorable in India. Once the Rewa King went for hunting, and he found an odd white-colored tiger, called Mohan. Mohan was sent to others to continue his breed; all of today's white tigers are thought to be Mohan's progeny. Authorities planned to make a zoo in Rewa, named for the White Tiger which has been under dispute. This first white tiger safari or zoo was established by the Central Zoo Authority of India in Mukundpur.
The central committee on pre-independence files recently released files giving insight on the Indian independence movement in Rewa. These include case files on nationalist Subash Chandra Bose and a series of 124 books by authors suppressed by the British Raj for revolutionary activities. Martland Press of Rewa, run by Pandit Ram Bharose Awasthi, was instrumental in publishing India's first national anthem and national song "Vande Mataram" in 1927, which was distributed in the Tripuri session of Congress in Jabalpur. This led to the seizure of printed books from Allahabad and Jabalpur and the revolutionary activities were crushed.
A unique event organised by Rewa Tourism Development council, local administration, Rewanchal Chamber of Commerce and industries, and Rewa Sanskriti Department. The Vindhya Mahotsav is being introduced for the promotion of Culture, Sanskriti, Business and Shilpkala in Rewa. It also aimed to attract Business opportunity in the city. Firstly Organised by Er. Rajendra Sharma (President of Rewanchal Chamber of Commerce and industries) and Shilpi Construction for the development of City economical status. The Vindhya Mahotsav had a successful history till now. The Mahotsav is organised at Rewa Engineering College Ground in first week of April every Year.